In today's article, you will learn how to use some keyboard shortcuts and other methods to type theX in a box symbol(Text/Emoji –☒) in MS Word/Excel using Windows or Mac.
Before we start I would like to say that you can also use the button below to copy and paste thex in a boxenter your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol on your keyboard, the handy steps below will show you everything you need to know.
Quick guide to writing X in a box symbol [☒]
to write theX in a box symbolno mac, pressureOption + 2612shortcut on your keyboard. For Windows users, just press one of the Alt keys and type9746using the numeric keypad and release the Alt key.
Note: These shortcuts can only work in MS Word.
The following table contains all the information you need to type this symbol on the keyboard for Mac and Windows PC.
|symbol name||Urn with X|
|Windows direct access||Alt+9746|
|mac shortcut||Option + 2612|
|shorthand words||2612, Alt+X|
The quick guide above provides some useful shortcuts and workarounds on how to type the X symbol in a box in Word or Excel on Windows and Mac.
For more details, here are some other methods you can also use to insert this symbol into your work, such as a Word or Excel document.
How to Type X in a [Text/Emoji] Box Symbol in Word/Excel
Microsoft Office offers multiple writing methodsX in a box symbolor entering symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will provide you with five different methods that you can use to write or insert this and any other symbols on your PC just like in MS Office (ie Word, Excel or PowerPoint) for Mac and Windows users.
Without further ado, let's get started.
Using the alternate code for the X symbol in a box (Windows only)
OX in a box symbolalternative code is9746.
Although this symbol does not have a dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type it on the keyboard using the Alt code method. To do this, hold down the Alt key while pressing the keyx in a boxAlternative code (that is,9746) using the numeric keypad.
This method only works on Windows. And your keyboard should also have a numeric keypad.
Below is a breakdown of the steps you can take to enter thex in a boxSign in to your Windows PC:
- Place the insertion pointer where you need theX in a box symbolText/Emoji.
- Mantenga presionada una de las teclas Alt en su teclado.
- While holding down the Alt key, press the keyX in a box symbolalternate code for (9746). You must use the numeric keypad to enter the alternate code. If you are using a laptop without a numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there is a hidden numeric keypad that you can activate by pressingFn+NmLknot keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the symbol into your document.
This is how you can type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using the X symbol shortcut in a box
For Mac users, the keyboard shortcut forX in a box symbolEsOption + 2612. For Windows users, use the Alt code shortcut method by pressing one of the[Alternative]keys while typing the alt code of the symbol that is9746.
You must use the numeric keypad to enter the alternate code. Also, make sure that the Num Lock key is turned on.
Below is a breakdown of the shortcut for Mac:
- First, place the insertion pointer where you need to write the symbol (☒).
- now pressOption + 2612simultaneously on your keyboard to enter the symbol.
Below is a breakdown of the shortcut for Windows (in MS Word):
- Position the insertion pointer where you want.
- Hold down the Alt key
- While holding down the Alt key, type9746using the numeric keypad to enter the symbol.
Below is a breakdown of the shortcut for Windows (MS Word only):
- Click to position the insertion pointer where you want the X symbol to be inserted in a box.
- Enter this code - 2612.
- After typing the code and while the insertion pointer is still near the last digit of the code, press Alt + X to convert the code to a symbol.
Here are the shortcuts you can use to write this sign in Word or Excel.
Copy and paste X into a box sign☒(Text/Emoji)
Another easy way to get theX in a box signon any PC is to use my favorite method:copy and paste.
All you have to do is copy the symbol sign from somewhere like a web page or the character map for Windows users and go where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel) and press Ctrl + V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch to Microsoft Word, place the insertion pointer where you want, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Alternatively, just use the copy button at the top of this post.
For Windows users, please follow the instructions below to copy and paste theX in a box symbolusing the character map dialog.
- click noTo startand look for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. click to checkadvanced viewselection boxto expand the dialog for more advanced options.
- In the advanced view, typeUrn with Xin the search box.
- You should now see the X symbol in a box (☒) in the character map dialog. If you can't see it, you have to search the symbol library to find it. When you find it, double-click on it to select it. Alternatively, click the buttonselectbutton.
- After selecting the symbol by double-clicking on it, it should appear in theCharacter to copy:field and then click thecopy ofbutton to copy the symbol.
- Switch to the Microsoft Word or Excel document, place the insertion pointer where you want, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you can use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on a Windows PC.
Using the Insert Symbol dialog (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The Insert Symbol dialog is a library of symbols from which you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a few mouse clicks.
Follow the steps below to insert this symbol (☒) in Word or Excel using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you want to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click the Symbol dropdown menu and select themore symbolsbutton.
The Symbol dialog will appear.
- To easily locate the X symbol in a box, selectSegoe UI symbolfont type in the Font list in the upper left section of the window. then write2612in the character code field at the bottom of the window. After typing this character code, the X symbol in a box will appear selected.
- Now click the Insert button to insert the symbol into your document.
- Closes the dialog box.
The symbol will be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
Here are the steps you can follow to insert this symbol in Word.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to enter thex in a boxEntre sin Microsoft Word.
Using the shortcuts for Windows and Mac is the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have anything to say or questions about theX in a box symbol, leave it in the comments.
How do I insert an X symbol in Word? ›
Search the Symbols Menu
Go to the Insert tab, click on Symbol on the far right, click More Symbols…, and change the font to Wingdings in the box that pops up. Then, scroll down to the bottom and choose the tick or cross symbol that you prefer.
The sample mean symbol is x̄, pronounced “x bar”. The sample mean is an average value found in a sample. A sample is just a small part of a whole.What is the sample mean or X̄? ›
x̄ = ( Σ xi ) / n. Here, x̄ represents the sample mean, Σ tells us to add, xi refers to all the X-values and n stands for the number of items in the data set. When calculating the sample mean using the formula, you will plug in the values for each of the symbols.What is the difference between X̄ and μ? ›
The arithmetic mean of the entire population is called population mean. The sample is represented by x̄ (pronounced as an x bar). On the other hand, population mean is labelled as μ (Greek term mu).What does the symbol ∥ mean? ›
Symbol. ∥ (geometry) Parallel lines. indicates that line AB is parallel to line CD.What is X X in statistics? ›
σ = standard deviation. Xi = each value of dataset. x̄ ( = the arithmetic mean of the data (This symbol will be indicated as the mean from now) N = the total number of data points.Which is this symbol called? ›
|Symbol||Name of the symbol||Similar glyphs or concepts|
|⟨ ⟩||Angle brackets||Bracket, Parenthesis, Greater-than sign, Less-than sign|
|' '||Apostrophe||Quotation mark, Guillemet, Prime, Grave|