This is a very complete guide with several methods you can use to enter or write thesquare symbolo2 square sign(²) anywhere on your PC, such as Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint, whether you are using Windows or Mac keyboard. You will learn all the easy methods including thesquare alternate codeshortcut.
Without wasting too much time, let's get started.
table of contents
Quick guide to writing the square symbol (²)
write the2 squared Symbolanywhere on your PC or laptop keyboard (such as Microsoft Word or Excel), pressOption +00B2Mac shortcut. And if you're using Windows, just press the Alt key and type0178using the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
However, to type this symbol in MS Word, just type00B2, select it and pressAlt+Xto get the square sign.
The table below contains everything you need to know to be able to type this symbol on Windows and Mac. It even includes the square symbol alternate code shortcut.
|symbol name||envelope 2|
|Symbol Alt Code 1||0178|
|Symbol Alternative code 2||253|
|Direct Access for Windows||Alt + 0178|
|Shortcut for Mac||Option +00B2|
|Shortcut in Word||00B2, Alt+X|
More details on how to write the symbol for 2 squares²
Whether you are using Windows or Mac, the above information is enough for you to write thesquaredlog in to your Word/Excel document.
However, if you are not satisfied with this quick help, then continue reading below as I will explain in detail how to get the square symbol or any other symbol anywhere on your Mac or Windows PC like MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
As you may already know, there are several dual function keys on the keyboard for both Windows and Mac.symbolsavailable as second keys on the keyboard. By simply pressing two or more keys simultaneously, you can easily insert such symbols into your work. For example, pressingShift + 7keys provide the ampersand (&) sign.
However, other symbols are not printed on the keyboard as second keys. It makes writing difficult. One of these symbols is the2 symbol squared(²).
Typing becomes very difficult for you if you need to add some of these symbols regularly in your work.
But it doesn't have to be difficult. Especially now that you're reading this step-by-step guide.
How to Insert the 2 Square Symbol in Word/Excel
In the following sections, I'll show you all the easy ways to write or insert this symbol (2 squared -²) anywhere on your Windows PC or Mac (like Word, Excel or PowerPoint).
In a few minutes, I'll explain several methods you can use to get 2 squared (²) and any other symbols where necessary.
As a quick guide, press the buttonalternativekey and type0178 o 253alt code on your numeric keypad. You can also pressOption +00B2a Mac.
However, without further ado, the methods are explained in detail below.
1. Square symbol shortcuts ² (Windows and Mac)
HesquaredThe symbol shortcut for Mac isOption +00B2.
Windows has a number of shortcuts, some of which only work in Microsoft Word.
However, there is a Windows shortcut to thesquared Signalthat works in all apps. It is the alternate code shortcut that isAlt+0178(will be discussed in the next section).
HesquaredThe symbol shortcut for Microsoft Word is00B2, Alt X. This only works in Microsoft Word.
To use this on Windows (for Word), follow the instructions below:
- Place the insertion pointer in the correct place.
- Type00B2on the keyboard and press Alt + X.
This will convert the numbers to the square symbol where you place the insertion pointer.
Below is a breakdown of how to use thesquaredsymbol shortcut for Mac:
- First, place the insertion pointer where you need to insert the symbol.
- Now, using your Mac keyboard, pressOption +00B2simultaneously.
This shortcut should insert the symbol for you on your Mac PC.
In the next section, I'll show you how to use thesquare symbolAlt Code to type the symbol on your keyboard.
2. Square symbol alternative code (for Windows Windows)
Hesquared(²) The alternate symbol code is0178 o253.
Each symbol in Word has a unique code that you can use to insert the symbol into your document. This code is known as an “Alt code”.
Below are the steps to type this symbol on the keyboard (using the Alt code given above:
- tightenNum Lockto activate the numeric keypad. Use the Fn + NumLk keys to enable Num Lock on laptops without a numeric keypad.
- Hold down the Alt key and type0178using the numeric keypad.
- After entering the Alt code (i.e. 0178), release the[Alternative]key you pressed.
As soon as you release the Alt key, thesquared(²The ) symbol must appear in your document.
3. Copy and paste the square symbol
Use the button below to copy and paste thesquaredsymbol of your work.
My favorite method of inserting symbols is copy and paste.
With this method, all you have to do is Google the symbol you need to type and copy it from one of the provided search results. Once you get the symbol into your document, you can always copy and paste it where needed.
Use the button above to place this symbol on your clipboard.
There is another way to copy this and any other symbol in Windows. It involved using the Windows character map.
Follow the steps below to copy and paste any symbol using the character map.
- Find the Character Map application by clicking on the Start button.
- The character map app will appear in the search results. Click on it to start.
- After the character map window opens, click to check the character map.advanced viewcheckbox to expand the window and access more advanced options.
- About itadvanced viewsection typeenvelope twoin the search box.
- The symbol you were looking for (i.e. the2 squaressymbol) will now appear on the character map. Double click on it to select it. You will see the symbol appear in the Characters to be copied text box. This allows you to select and copy multiple symbols at the same time.
- After selecting the symbol you want to copy, click on the buttonCopybutton.
- Navigate to where you need the symbol whether in MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint and press Ctrl + V to paste.
This is how you can copy and paste thesquaredsign using charactermap on Windows.
4. Using the Insert Symbol dialog box
This approach isn't as straightforward as shortcuts. But it's pretty simple.
And once you get the symbol into your document, you can always copy and paste it again whenever you need it in your work.
Below are the steps to enter theSquare Signalin Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- About itInserttab, click onSymbolbutton and chooseMore symbols...
Those few clicks will open the Symbol dialog box.
- Localize oSymbolyou want to insert.
To easily find theSquaresymbol in the Symbols window, look at the bottom area of the dialog and type00B2noCharacter code:field. HesquaredThe symbol you want to insert will be selected after you write the code.
- click noInsertbutton.
Alternatively, double-clicking the symbol will also insert the symbol into your document.
- click noFencebutton.
This is how you can enter the2 squaredsymbol in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
As you can see, these are the various ways to enter or write thesquaredsymbol in Word/Excel with or without using the keyboard.
My favorite method is to use the copy and paste method followed by shortcuts. The Alt Code method is also simple.
For any comments or questions regarding this square sign guide, let me know in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading.
What is the Alt code for ²? ›
So the keyboard shortcut for the squared symbol is Alt + 0178.How do you write two squares in text? ›
Tap General > Keyboard > Text Replacement. Tap "+" in the top right corner. In the Phrase row, type or paste a symbol, such as "²". In the Shortcut row, type or paste a shortcut, such as "^2".How do you type the squared symbol 2 on a computer or a smartphone? ›
You can open any app that allows typing, such as Google Docs, Notes, or your text messaging app. Tap the typing area to open the keyboard. Press and hold the 2 on your keyboard. When you press and hold, you'll see the superscript or squared 2 pop-out above your finger.How do you type x2 on keyboard? ›
To type the 2 Squared Symbol anywhere on your PC or Laptop keyboard (like in Microsoft Word or Excel), press Option + 00B2 shortcut for Mac. And if you are using Windows, simply press down the Alt key and type 0178 using the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard.Where is superscript 2 in Excel? ›
- Alt + 0185 or Option + 0185 creates a superscripted 1.
- Alt + 0178 or Option + 0178 creates a superscripted 2.
- Alt + 0179 or Option + 0179 creates a superscripted 3.
Hold down Alt and key in 0178 and let go of Alt. A superscript 2 will appear.